Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Sushi

One of the things I missed the most during my pregnancy was sushi (raw fish is on the ever-growing list of pregnancy no-nos).  For nine long months I craved and dreamed about it, counting the days until I could eat what I pleased.  My mom brought me a spicy salmon roll while I was still in the hospital, and I never suspected that my favorite treat would soon be taken from me again.  After we discovered Warren's soy allergy, we ordered some sushi takeout anyway, but needless to say, dry sushi rolls were less than satisfying.  It just wasn't the same without the dark, salty, wasabi-laced dip.

Enter Midori, the most gracious restaurant owner you'll ever meet.  My family has been eating at Sushi Bar Hana, her Danville restaurant, since I was five years old.  When my mom went in for dinner, she told Midori that I probably wouldn't be around much because I couldn't eat soy.  That night, I got a phone call from my mom, telling me that there was actually a soy sauce alternative!  Another regular at Hana is allergic to soy and brings her own sauce, and Midori wrote down the name.  I was a little skeptical but excited to give it a try.

Since a visit to Hana was a given when my sisters were in town, we trekked to Whole Foods and found a bottle of Coconut Secret soy-free seasoning sauce, and at the first taste I could not believe how good it was!   The stuff is made from coconut tree sap of all things, but somehow it tastes just like soy sauce.  Just being back at Hana with my family, enjoying my favorite meal, made this whole allergy business seem a lot more bearable.

Besides dipping sushi, I am looking forward to trying the Coconut Secret in some Asian cooking at home.  Be on the lookout for new recipes!

1 comment:

  1. Yay!! I am so happy that you found this! Can't wait to see the teriyaki recipes to follow :)

    ReplyDelete