Thursday, June 3, 2010

Coconut Mocha

I am very blessed that my husband got me an espresso machine a couple years ago, because coffee shops are out: they offer soy milk as the only dairy alternative. Most mornings I have a vanilla latte at home made with either rice milk or almond milk, and now that I am used to the taste, I don't even miss the "real" milk. But since I had leftover coconut milk from my curry the other night, I decided to experiment, and the coconut mocha was born!

Ingredients:

1/4 cup regular coconut milk + 1/2 cup water
1 shot espresso
1 heaping teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
sugar or agave nectar to taste (about 1-2 tsp)

Combine sugar and cocoa in coffee mug. Steam diluted coconut milk to 180 degrees; set aside. Prepare espresso shot and add to mug, stirring to dissolve sugar & cocoa. Add steamed coconut milk and stir.

If you don't have an espresso machine, I think regular coconut milk would make an excellent coffee creamer. I have tried adding rice or almond milk to regular coffee but they just don't have enough richness to stand up to the coffee, especially if you brew it strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment