Monday, August 30, 2010

No Nothing, Baby

After a disheartening visit with Warren's gastroenterologist and the threat of outrageously expensive hypoallergenic formula looming over my head, I have embarked on the Dr. Sears Total Elimination Diet.  Here are my menu selections at the moment:

Lamb
Turkey
Rice
Millet
Pears
Potatoes
Zucchini
Yellow Squash
Salt & Pepper

I have eaten nothing outside of these things for seven long days now, and to be honest, it left me feeling too depressed to write.  Living in a world where I couldn't cook creatively left me feeling like a stranger in a foreign land (and a hungry one at that!)  But today, Warren's symptoms began to improve, and with them the state of my soul.  Truly, I will do whatever it takes to make that little angel's tummy stop hurting him.  In the meantime, I keep daydreaming about which food to reintroduce first.  Bananas?  Avocados?  I think olive oil is winning by a nose so I can start frying everything humanly possible.

On the bright side, the pregnancy pounds are melting before my eyes, and my husband has promised to take me bowling since I am desperate for some fun!  Seriously, it is just wrong to deprive a mother of a well-earned sweet treat after the two boys are finally tucked in bed.  But I am finally relieved of worrying over every little thing I eat.  The diet may be monotonous, but at least it feels safe.

Since I know there are other mothers out there bored to tears with the elimination diet, I am going to keep posting what I am making in hopes of helping someone in my shoes.  Here is my first total elimination diet recipe.  It's very easy, filling, and comforting.

Turkey & Zucchini Pasta


8 oz. brown rice fusilli or other pasta shape
1 lb. ground turkey (not extra lean)
2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
salt & pepper

Heat a non-stick skillet (I use cast iron) over medium heat.  Add the turkey and break up with the back of a spoon.  Add zucchini.  Continue to cook, stirring often, until meat is browned and zucchini is tender, about 10 minutes.  Season generously with salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the package directions.  Drain and stir into the turkey mixture.  Serve immediately.

This makes about 3 servings.  Heat up the  leftovers for a quick lunch the next day.

3 comments:

  1. love you emilee.. praying for you guys to get through this tough time quickly, and even your elimination diet recipe sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one great mom! And you should definitely go bowling - it will help you feel happier :) Speaking of bowling, we had the best time with Rob and Amy last weekend. I told them about what is going on with you and Warren, and Amy had the exact same situation with their first baby, Ryan. She stuck it out, felt like she couldn't eat anything but kept nursing, and when he was around 9 months old, his symptoms totally disappeared! He has no food allergies now (almost 3 yrs), and she is convinced that breastfeeding is the reason. So be encouraged - you are doing a great work on the behalf of your son!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emilee you're awesome! Oliver and I look at Warren's picture every day while he says "baby baby" and I say "That's Warren, Warren." ;) But I think I'll replace teaching Oliver his name with praying for his tummy and your sanity! I am loving your blog. Have you been using any millet flour? Though I see how olive oil could really increase exponentially your choices. Bon courage to you!

    ReplyDelete